Camera phones raise concerns of use in private areas

Emily Oliver

One of the latest additions to cell phones, built-in digital cameras, is catching on at Iowa State, but has caused some concern over maintaining privacy.

Levi Lanz, a sales representative in the wireless department of Best Buy, 1220 South Duff Ave., said different cell phone carriers offer different digital camera features. Options now include a picture platform, an area for a speaking bubble from the mouth of the person in the photo and a zoom feature. He said some phones now have a flash option to be used in dark environments.

Barbara Mack, associate professor of journalism and mass communication, said the use of the camera phones in public is acceptable because there is not an expectation of privacy while in public.

However, the camera phones could be used in locker rooms, bathrooms and hospital rooms where people are expected to have privacy, she said.

Mack said people should expect to be sued for invasion of privacy if they take photos of others without their consent in private places.

Joe Barton, sales representative in the wireless department of Best Buy, said there have been no reports of people taking pictures of others unknowingly.

“You would think that would’ve come up if it were a problem,” said Barton, sophomore in management information systems.

Barton said Best Buy sells two to four cellular phones with built-in cameras a day. The majority of the buyers are college students, he said.

Erin Bloomquist, sophomore in pre-business, said she purchased a camera phone six months ago. She uses the phone to take pictures of her fianc‚ and friends so when they call her, their faces show up on the screen.

Bloomquist said she didn’t think there would be a problem with people taking pictures of others unknowingly in Ames.

Lanz said he has not heard of a problem in Ames with the camera phones invading personal space.

“[The picture phone] is not for everyday use,” he said. “[Students] might send a picture to mom or dad.”

Justin Ladwig, senior in chemical engineering, said he purchased a cellular phone with a camera a month ago and uses it to take pictures of the people in his phone’s address book.

“The cameras pretty much suck on those things,” Ladwig said. “I didn’t buy [the phone] for the camera; I wanted to make backgrounds with the pictures.”