Dalager’s success bumps Cyclone volleyball to new heights

Tony Muller

ISU volleyball player Brittany Dalager has spent her Cyclone career carrying over her success as a high-schooler in Minneota, Minn., to the collegiate arena.

From eighth to 12th grade, Dalager accumulated 169 service aces, 1,195 kills and 264 blocks.

“Brittany is a solid all-around player,” said ISU head coach Linda Crum. “With her court play, she could play up front right now. She is doing a great job as a setter.”

Dalager could be considered the player who does it all for the Cyclones. She pounds kills, digs defensively and blocks shots.

The 5-foot-11 junior has made her mark on the team’s successes so far this season. She had 842 total kills going into last Saturday night’s match against Kansas.

Dalager also netted her 1,000th career dig against Texas A&M Oct. 11, when she had 20 digs. She now has 1,140 digs to her credit.

Dalager is currently third in the Big 12 conference with 3.6 digs per game.

In her best matches, Dalager has had 19 kills twice this season.

“She has really become a leader on this team,” said middle blocker Ashlie McWee. “Brittany has become a continuous communicator and a motivator for me. Whether we’re down or ahead, she is always positive and talkative.”

Dalager came to Iowa State after being a five-year varsity player and a four-year starter in both volleyball and basketball.

“I always thought I would end up playing basketball in college,” Dalager said.

“In my freshman year, I played in Junior Olympic volleyball, and the coaches taught me a whole new aspect of the game. I learned from a lot of different coaches, and it improved my game so much more.”

She was elected team captain in both sports in her junior and senior years in high school.

Her high school won the conference crown all four years, and earned all-conference recognition for four straight seasons.

Dalager said she loves the atmosphere at Iowa State.

“I really love the people here — they really support the volleyball program,” she said.

Dalager recently changed her major from elementary education to child and family services.

She said she would love to coach volleyball some day, and said she needs to take four more courses to get her minor in coaching.

In her freshman year at Iowa State, Dalager was one of two Cyclone players to start in all 26 matches.

And last season, she started in 30 of the 31 matches in which she played.

“Brittany is such a well-rounded player,” said middle blocker Katie Kruenegel. “Especially now at this point of the season, she’s stepped up and has proven to be a great leader.”