Bill to raise budget for Residence Hall Week passes

Emily Oliver

A bill presented at the Inter-Residence Hall Association meeting Thursday that would allow the IRHA Special Events Committee to add $3,500 to their account was passed after numerous objections.

Lee Moser, Eaton Hall president, proposed the bill, which asked for more money for the Special Events Committee to produce a better quality Residence Hall Week.

The bill specified the Special Events Committee would return any unused money to the IRHA Special Projects account.

Kyle Perkins, Towers Residence Association president, opposed the bill and said the bill should be taken back to the constituents to gain their perspective.

Autumn Hare, IRHA director of special events, disagreed.

“It looks like we have a lot of time, but you cannot wait two weeks prior to Residence Hall Week to secure the acts,” she said.

Carl Carlson, IRHA director of finance, said the Special Events Committee is asking for $3,500 of the estimated $45,000 IRHA budget.

After taking two votes, the bill was passed.

Moser said the money will be used to upgrade game night and secure Mission IMPROVable, an improv group from Chicago.

Members from the Student Alumni Leadership Council also attended the IRHA meeting.

Brett Moffitt, sophomore in pre-business, Andrea Fellows, sophomore in pre-business, and representatives of Homecoming Central came to hand out fliers and encourage residence hall students to participate in Homecoming events.

Improv, Yell like Hell, tournament and the painting of victory lane entry deadlines are Oct. 1, Fellows said.

In other actions, the Department of Residence is planning a new event called Citizen Leader Forums in the residence halls. The forum would bring in faculty and staff members that are experts on a topic, said adviser John Shertzer.

Faculty would speak about a “hot topic or debate issue” and would allow students to voice their opinions and thoughts on the issue, he said.