New policy reduces visitor spots at Frederiksen Court

Emily Oliver

A new Frederiksen Court parking policy now prohibits visitors from parking in designated areas during the week.

The parking policy was revised to allow only students with permits to park in Lot 112 of Frederiksen Court, said Doug Houghton, program manager for the Department of Public Safety.

In previous years, the university allowed visitors of Frederiksen Court to park in Lot 112 from 3:30 p.m. to 7 a.m. seven days a week, Houghton said.

Linda Shaw, president of Frederiksen Court Community Council, said the first two years Frederiksen Court was open, there was not a parking problem because the lots were not at full capacity.

Last year, conflict arose when the students who paid for parking permits could not find a spot at night, said Shaw, senior in elementary education.

Houghton said the parking division of the Department of Public Safety had an opportunity to sit down with student residents and come up with plans and rules when Frederiksen Court first opened.

The students and parking division came up with rules that were less strict and more of what the students wanted, which included allowing guest parking in the evenings, he said.

Last semester, the parking division and the students met again to reevaluate the situation. Surveys were taken, and a decision to give residents of Frederiksen Court priority in parking was made, Houghton said.

Shaw said the Frederiksen Court Council held two town meetings, with their main focus on the results of the parking survey.

“We went with what the masses said,” Shaw said. “Guests shouldn’t have free reign [over parking].”

Houghton said the parking division used the results and came up with a proposal that would meet the needs of the residents more of the time.

The parking division presented the proposal to the student government in the spring. After some debate, it was decided it was the best approach and the policy was adopted and published, he said.

Shaw said the parking policy at Frederiksen Court has changed in several ways. Guests are only allowed to park in Frederiksen Court between the hours of 3:30 p.m. Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday. There are two parking lots for visitors; one is north of 13th Street in Lot 114 and the other is in the Pammel Grocery area in Lot 29B.

According to the notice sheet given to Frederiksen Court residents, there is a 24-hour limit for parking in Lot 114 without a permit. Also, visitors can park in Lot 29B after 3:30 p.m. on weekdays and weekends.

“I’m even feeling the weight of the parking situation,” Shaw said.

Luke Rolfes, senior in English, said the new parking policy seems fair. “I think it helps out,” he said. “It’s frustrating when you can’t find a spot that you pay $75 for.” Rolfes said he gets mad when motorcycles are parked in spots not designated for them.

Shaw said the new policy is best for the residents. “It will take a while to settle in, but we think it was best for the community and the best option,” Shaw said.