Increased academic affairs involvement one of IRHA’s goals

Emily Oliver

Members of the Inter-Residence Hall Association will hear about the duties of the residence academic advisory board during Thursday’s meeting.

A speaker from the advisory board tops the meeting’s agenda. The speaker will give IRHA members information about opportunities available through the board to take back to constituents, said Justin Rasmussen, vice president

Mimi Benjamin, coordinator for academic services, will speak on behalf of the advisory board.

“[The academic advisory board] is a group of students that meet one time a month to talk about academic issues,” Benjamin said.

One of the purposes of the board is to generate ideas for the residence halls, she said.

“Any student that lives in the residence halls is welcome to participate on the board,” Benjamin said.

This is the second year the board has been in existence, she said.

Laurie Tope, IRHA director of academic affairs, said one of this year’s goals for IRHA is to do more with academic affairs.

IRHA is discussing the creation of a scholarship program available for students, Tope said. The criteria for the scholarship would be based on academic excellence and leadership, she said.

Tope said it is possible money for the program would come from IRHA’s special projects fund. IRHA would like to have more money going back to the students, Tope said.

Another goal IRHA has set for the year is to have residence hall house councils have more academic chairs than they currently do, Tope said.

“We’re excited about the new administration,” Tope said. “Hopefully, a lot of good things will come from the year.”

President Eric Peters said the executive positions of president and treasurer are available for the Free Friday Flicks committee. Applications are available on the IRHA Web site, www.irha.us, and are due Sept. 19 by 5 p.m.

The Free Friday Flicks schedule is near completion, and movies will begin next Friday, Peters said.

Rasmussen said there are no bills up for this week’s meeting.

The meeting will take place at 7 p.m. in the Maple-Willow-Larch conference room.