Reactions mixed over Fresh Start program

Emily Oliver

The first complete week of the recently-implemented Fresh Start program is coming to a close in the Union Drive Association, and reactions to the new policies have been mixed.

The Fresh Start program differs from traditional residence halls in that it focuses on three areas: emphasizing campus organization and membership, community service and personal development. The program has a higher staff to student ratio than traditional residence halls and are 75 percent freshmen and 25 percent upperclassmen.

Fresh Start began in 1999 as a test in Maple Hall to see what the impact would be on student academic success and retention of students in the residence halls, said Randy Alexander, director of the Department of Residence.

The results from the test showed freshmen living in Maple Hall had a higher GPA and a retention rate of nearly 90 percent, he said. Last year, Fresh Start was extended to Eaton Hall, and this semester it was put into effect for all of the Union Drive Association.

Alexander said he doesn’t know if the Department of Residence will expand Fresh Start further than where it is this year.

“I don’t know that Fresh Start is for everybody,” Alexander said.

Student reaction to the new policy has been mixed.

“[The Fresh Start Program] encourages involvement as well as personal development and social development,” said Elizabeth Dunham, resident of Eaton Hall and freshman in agricultural biochemistry. “Serving the community is always good. You can’t go wrong.”

Students in Fresh Start communities are asked to join one campus organization of their choice as well as participate in one community service project per semester, Alexander said. The project can be completed as a floor, in small groups or individually, and the students decide when, where and what community service project to partake in.

Students are also asked to attend two personal development programs per semester, Alexander said. These may include speakers, plays or concerts, among other events.

“I think it’s good you’re doing stuff with kids your own age,” Dunham said.

“I think [Fresh Start] is a good idea, but [it’s beneficial] to have some upperclassmen — otherwise freshmen don’t meet anybody out of their class,” said Kelly McGeough, resident of Friley and sophomore in engineering. Christopher Hassebroek, resident of Friley, shared McGeough’s concern.

By living in a predominately freshman community, freshmen won’t have a chance to diversify or to blend in with the upperclassmen, said Hassebroek, in electrical engineering.

Students living in a Fresh Start community are not required to participate in the three focus areas, Alexander said. Those who do participate will be given priority to live in the residence halls over those who choose not to comply with the program, Alexander said.

“Nobody is ever kicked out of the dorms,” Alexander said. “A lot of people didn’t complete [Fresh Start] but still came back [to the residence halls] this year.”

Fresh Start residence halls also differ from traditional halls in that they are alcohol-free. Also, visitors are allowed only between 9 a.m to 1 a.m. when class is in session the next day and 9 a.m. to 3 a.m when there is no class the next day, Alexander said. However, there is 24-hour visitation in study areas and hallways, he added.

A new job position within the Fresh Start halls is the academic resource coordinator, Alexander said.

Mark Bergstrom, junior in mechanical engineering and academic resource coordinator (ARC), said his primary job is to meet with students twice a semester to answer questions and give advice.

The Fresh Start program is not that different than other residence halls, Bergstrom said.

“They have a couple extra rules, but most students [obey] them already,” he said.

Stephanie Smith, sophomore in industrial engineering and house president of Rowe House in Helser, said she likes the idea of an ARC in the residence halls for freshmen, but not for sophomores or upperclassmen.

“I was pretty upset to find out that I was required to report to ARCs,” Smith said. “As a sophomore, it was telling me I was immature; I wish it was more optional.”

“Putting [community service] on a resume because you were forced to do it doesn’t prove you’re a good citizen,” she added.