Trash collection will be discussed at first IRHA meeting

Emily Oliver

The Inter-Residence Hall Association is planning for a short first meeting on Thursday, as several positions are still vacant.

Kyle Perkins , president of Towers Residence Association, said there are still openings in IRHA for TRA representatives.

The IRHA representatives will go to weekly IRHA meetings, meet one time a week with the vice president of TRA and meet with the president’s council of the building one time a week.

The position of chief justice is also open, Perkins said.

The official task of the chief justice is to make decisions regarding impeachment or constitutional discrepancies, he said.

Perkins encouraged interested residence hall students to apply for the open IRHA positions.

He said he hopes to fill the positions within the next two weeks.

An issue that may come up for IRHA will regard students in the residence halls taking trash to outdoor trash receptacles, Perkins said.

In the past, students could place the garbage from their rooms in a larger trash can in the houses.

“The janitors aren’t taking out the trash anymore,” Perkins said.

“We have to take it out to the Dumpsters on our own now.”

President Eric Peters said the first meeting will give IRHA a chance to take care of housekeeping matters.

IRHA will practice parliamentary procedure to prepare for upcoming meetings, Peters said.

Justin Rasmussen , vice president of IRHA, said there are no proposed bills for this week.

During the semester, IRHA members submit bills regarding financial needs of campus organizations, changes to IRHA by-laws and bills expressing the opinions of IRHA, Rasmussen said.

The first IRHA meeting of the year will be held at 7 p.m. Thursday in the Gallery Room of the Memorial Union.

Meetings are open to the public.