Ivins to speak on First Amendment

Emily Oliver

A three-time Pulitzer Prize finalist and author will explore First Amendment rights Tuesday night.

Molly Ivins, a syndicated columnist from the Fort Worth (Texas) Star-Telegram, will present “Who Stole the First Amendment?” at 8 p.m. in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union.

“Ivins is just like her home state of Texas,” said Barbara Mack, associate professor in the Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication. “She is brash, bold and challenges anything ordinary.

“Many ISU students have never been forced to think about what free speech and the First Amendment are about,” she said.

“Now is the first time in many of their lives that they’ve seen government trying to limit what citizens say … [Ivins will] have an answer that will make students think and make you mad in a good way.”

Ivins is the author of four books and has served on the National News Council.

Mack said Ivins’ speech is a prelude to First Amendment Day on April 17.

Paul Kix, president of the News Group and senior in journalism and mass communication, said Ivins might also touch on current political issues such as the war, President Bush and civil liberties.

“At times, what she says can be profound regardless of people’s political outlook,” Kix said. The News Group is one of the sponsors for this event.

Tom Emmerson, professor in the Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication, said Ivins is a columnist who does well-researched homework. Ivins’ message will be “thoughtful, opinionated and entertaining,” he said.

Pat Miller, director of the Lectures Program, said Ivins “comments political life with wit and wisdom, she has a point to make and does it with humor.” This will be Ivins’ third time in Ames, Miller said.

“She is hilarious and she delivers important political truths with humor and bite to make it fun and memorable,” Mack said.