Counting & reading

Emily Oliver

Central Iowa school children are learning their ABCs and 123s with the help of ISU students.

America Reads/America Counts is a national program that links college students with kindergarten through ninth-grade children to teach the children about reading and mathematical skills.

The program was proposed in 1996 by President Bill Clinton, said Marcie Osmundson, director of America Reads/ America Counts. When the program was first started, about 50 students with education majors were tutors for elementary students, she said.

“Now the program has over 225 students and every college is represented,” said Osmundson, lecturer in curriculum and instruction.

Justin Wier, program adviser and graduate in educational leadership and policy studies, said the program places college students in nearly 40 different schools in Ames, Des Moines, Boone and other locations in Story County.

Students usually work between eight and 12 hours per week. Before they are sent out to schools, they are required to attend 10 hours of training to prepare them to tutor, Wier said.

Reading and math are included in almost every subject so student mentors usually help in those areas, he said.

“It’s a great service to the community,” Wier said.

“Students miss being out in public schools in a different, refreshing environment. They learn from the students just as much as the students learn from them.”

Eric Banwart, senior in computer engineering, has been involved with America Reads/ America Counts for two years. Banwart works at Roosevelt Elementary School, 921 9th St., where he tutors in Karen Wagner’s kindergarten class. He also works with a second-grader in reading, math, spelling and vocabulary and has seen great improvement since he began tutoring, he said.

“It’s a great community service to help students and it’s a lot of fun,” Banwart said.

Dallas Rust, principal at Roosevelt Elementary, said teachers select students who can benefit from the attention of a tutor. These students may need help or may excel in an area, he said.

“It’s been very effective. Another set of hands is always beneficial,” Rust said. “The program gives more opportunity for learning for both students.”

America Reads/America Counts is federally funded and students are paid $9 to $10 per hour. ISU students tutor around their schedule and are reimbursed for their travel, Wier said.

Brendan Cary, senior in mechanical engineering, has worked at Madrid Elementary in Madrid for three semesters. Cary said he provides classroom assistance, helps children read individually and answers questions in class.

“I would recommend this program to anyone,” he said. “Any chance to make a difference in a kid’s life is worth it.”

Allison Dunn, junior in Spanish, mentors at Nevada Middle School in Nevada by teaching an introductory Spanish class to sixth-graders. She also helps with reading, math, mock trial and the invention fair and is a mentor. Dunn said after her experience at the school, she plans to pursue a career in education.

“It’s been a good experience helping them get through a project and having them realize that they can get it done,” she said.

Osmundson said tutoring the children provides stress relief and makes her a better person.

“I would encourage college students to participate to help young people become our future leaders. College students can help by teaching them to not make the same mistakes as they have,” she said.

Applications are now being accepted for the America Reads/America Counts program for fall 2003.

Students who apply must be eligible for federal work study. Students can pick up an application at W137 Lagomarcino Hall or online at www.iastate.edu/~fin_aid_info/arac. Applications are due by April 2.