A wise decision

This year, the homosexual community at Iowa State has decided not to hold reverse campaniling. They will be taking part in the regular campaniling along with everyone else at Iowa State the Thursday before Homecoming.

To no longer hold reverse campaniling was a good idea. A separate event for homo-sexuals is counterproductive and further excludes the community. There is not one good reason gays at Iowa State should not be able to campanile with everyone else. It is a time-honored tradition for all ISU students, not just the straight ones.

Some may find it offensive to watch a man kiss another man. If that is the case, don’t go. Homosexuals have just as much of a right to be there as anyone. Iowa Staters should not only accept, but embrace the community, and recognize the importance of the fact that they feel comfortable enough to be themselves at homecoming.

Homosexuals on this campus have felt secluded and pressured to hold their own separate events for far too long. All members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community on campus should be proud of themselves, and should feel welcomed along with the rest of campus at the Campaniling.

editorialboard: Andrea Hauser, Tim Paluch, Michelle Kann, Zach Calef, Omar Tesdell