Vet med sets dress guidelines

Magda Beme

For the first time in its history, the College of Veterinary Medicine is setting professional dress guidelines for its students. The goal of the guidelines is to increase professionalism exhibited by students in the veterinary college, said Ryan Royer, student representative on the college’s Student-Faculty Relations Committee.

“We’re not at all trying to make cookie-cutter vet students,” said Royer, senior in veterinary medicine. “We’re trying to raise the level of professionalism through the dress guidelines. This is just a way to bring everyone on the same level as to what is expected.”

The dress guidelines evolved from the brainstorming efforts of the Student-Faculty Relations Committee and the Student Honor Board last year when the college hosted the Student American Veterinary Medical Association Symposium.

The students discussed the environment and appearance of the college and any changes that they thought should be made, said Elizabeth Riedesel, interim associate dean of veterinary clinical sciences.

“They tried to narrow down the topics, and the clothing attire was one that surfaced,” she said. “It was felt that it could be addressed in a short and timely manner.”

The students drafted four sets of guidelines encouraging students to wear business-casual dress during the school week. Thursday was chosen as a college-wide professional day, when clothing that is worn to events such as professional business meetings is encouraged.

The guidelines do not discourage clothing that includes College of Veterinary Medicine or club shirts.

Unlike a dress code, which existed in at the college in the mid-1970s, the students are not reprimanded for not following the dress guidelines. The guidelines include examples or suggestions instead of mandates, Riedesel said.

“One’s professional appearance is improved by practice,” she said.

Royer said most students are in favor of the new guidelines because many already wear business-casual attire.

“It applies to everyone, but was instituted for a few,” he said.

The new guidelines will prepare the students to maintain the level of professionalism that will be expected of them in the workplace, Royer said.

“Veterinarians hold a place in society that allows us to be influential, like any other professional occupation,” he said. “You wouldn’t expect a medical doctor to come into the examining room in shorts and flip-flops. It’s a level of professionalism that people expect.”

These dress guidelines will help display the new standard in professionalism to alumni as well as guests of the veterinary college, said Mark Severs, student member of the Student-Faculty Relations Committee.

“These guidelines will separate the vet students from the rest of the college and even from the other veterinary schools,” said Severs, senior in veterinary medicine.

“When students are considering different schools and they come to tour ISU, they will see that we take school seriously and we are very professional.”