Students speak freely on campus

Julie Rule

Students took advantage of their First Amendment rights during Free Speech Day Thursday.

About 20 people were in the Richardson Court Association courtyard during the windy day from noon to 5 p.m.

“We just want people to get out and use their free speech, get people out and express their views on something,” said Jenny Larson, Government of the Student Body cabinet member.

The event was sponsored by the Richardson Court Association and the American Civil Liberties Union.

“We’ve had people out here with serious opinions, so I feel it’s a success,” said Matt Denner, ACLU vice president.

Students spoke about topics such as politics and genetically modified organisms.

Alicia Kaiser, president of ISU Amnesty International, said much of what the group does is related to freedom of speech.

“We work for the release of prisoners who’ve just been expressing their beliefs, their political points of view or who have been imprisoned for their race, religion, culture,” said Kaiser, senior in anthropology.

Jonathan Mullin, president-elect of the group, talked about a new program in which Amnesty International is working with the Sierra Club.

“The goal of this campaign is to team up with the Sierra Club to help defend people who are defending the earth all over the world,” said Mullin, sophomore in biochemistry.

Denner, also a member of ISU Greens, and Mullin discussed genetically modified organisms.

Products containing GMOs should be labeled, at least with their level of safety and testing, said Denner, undecided freshman.

“It gives people a chance to really know what they’re eating,” he said.

Though Mullin said corporations should know what is in their food, he said labeling of products made with GMOs would unnecessarily scare people.

Gus Aramayo, sophomore in mechanical engineering, said he thought the turnout was “a good start,” and encouraged others to take advantage of free speech.

“It’s a lot of fun,” he said. “I think everyone out there would really like to go do it.”

Larson, junior in political science, said Free Speech Day was established last year because of a feeling of oppressed speech on campus.

“Especially in the past, there’s been the feeling that the freedom of expression was oppressed by the administration,” she said. “This year, things have changed a little bit in terms of administration.”

Denner said he is hopeful the entire campus would be a free speech zone for students in the future.

“We have other people that can protest anywhere on campus, but we – as paying students – have our rights taken away,” he said. “We want to work with the administration to create positive free speech dialogue on campus.”

Denner also said he hoped students would continue to take advantage of their right of free speech.

“I hope that people who are out here get involved on campus and really push for change, no matter what their beliefs are,” he said.