Scamper proceeds will go to vet med college

Magda Beme

Puppies – take your marks, get set, go!

The student chapter of the American Veterinary Association held its 18th annual SCAVMA Scamper March 31 at the College of Veterinary Medicine. The Scamper included a 5K and 10K race as well as a fun run/jog with all proceeds going to support continuing education at the College of Veterinary Medicine.

In the past, the Scamper attracted participants from around the Ames and greater Des Moines areas with skills ranging from the fairly competitive runner to the recreational jogger, said Eric Snook, race co-director. Last year, over 280 humans and eight dogs participated in the races.

“People are encouraged to bring their dogs,” said Snook, junior in veterinary medicine. “We will have treats for the dogs as well.”

The biggest goal for this year’s event was to exceed the amount of money raised in the past, he said. The Scamper usually brings in $2,000-3,000 each year, he said.

Past activities Scamper proceeds have supported include speakers and social events for incoming freshman. The majority of the funds raised help send students to the annual Student American Veterinary Medical Association Symposium.

“It helps to support extracurricular activities that the whole college can participate in,” Snook said.

Race co-directors are both veterans of the Scamper planning process, said Jennifer Rediske, race co-director.

“It’s important to get involved when you’re a freshman,” said Rediske, sophomore in veterinary medicine. “When it’s your turn to get involved, you’ll know how to [run things].”

Both Snook and Rediske said they hope this year’s Scamper brought a heightened awareness of the College of Veterinary Medicine and will increase next year’s participation.

“We hope people are happy with the race and come back next year,” Snook said.