Students positive about Seagrave’s proposal

Julie Rule

Some ISU students are worried about possible legislative budget cuts, but also optimistic about ISU Interim President Richard Seagrave’s proposals to save money.

Seagrave proposed Friday to close the university down during winter break to conserve energy in order to cut costs.

Kathy Wilson, senior in management information systems and marketing, said the winter shutdown was a good idea.

“It won’t affect undergraduate classes, so it’s not taking away from other sources,” she said.

While he sees it as a good solution, Eric Peterson, junior in management, said he was concerned about Seagrave’s proposal of shutting computers off at night to save energy because it would affect students who like to use computers during those hours.

“I think a lot of students like to use the 24-hour computer labs,” he said.

Another student thought the energy-saving proposals would help, but the university will still have to search elsewhere for money.

“I think it’s a great start, but it definitely won’t be enough,” said Clinton Anderson, junior in mechanical engineering.

But Dan De Clute, junior in mechanical engineering, said Seagrave’s proposals made sense. “He’s got to do whatever he’s got to do,” he said. “If this is going to save students money in tuition and everything, I think it’s a great proposal.”

Despite the possible cost-saving measures, students are concerned about the effects budget cuts could have.

“Quality of education might be hurt by it,” Anderson said, but he said he understands cuts had to be made, and administrators have to figure out the best way to handle the situation.

Some students also were worried about the possibility of tuition increases.

“It’s going to make the tuition higher,” Wilson said. “The more they cut out of the budget, the more they’re going to want from the students.”

De Clute said he was also concerned any costs the university can’t cut will show up in a rise in tuition and fees. “All of the money comes straight out of my pocket,” he said.