Students fear cuts will raise tuition

Julie Rule

A proposed legislative budget cut for Iowa State has many students concerned about future tuition increases.Last week, Republican state legislative leaders announced a proposed budget cut which would include a $3.3 million decrease in current fiscal year appropriations for Iowa State.Heather Mitchell, Government of the Student Body senator for liberal arts and sciences, said she is worried about the proposed cut.”Obviously, I’m concerned about it in addition to many other students,” said Mitchell, junior in political science.Mitchell said the announcement of the cut surprised many people.”It was something that kind of caught people off guard, but we’re going to deal with it the best we can,” she said. “Hopefully this won’t mean another big tuition hike.” Steve Skutnik, Inter-Residence Hall Association vice president, also said the announcement of the cuts was unexpected.”It’s pretty clear that they were just trying to spring this in through the back door,” said Skutnik, senior in physics.The potential tuition increase has also caught the attention of some new ISU students.”I definitely hope tuition doesn’t go up,” said Amber Morgan, freshman in elementary education.Grant Schultz, sophomore in horticulture, said he is more concerned about the possible tuition raise than the proposed cut itself.”I think the tuition raise will affect us more than this will,” he said. “But it sucks, nonetheless.”With the budget cut, Schultz said he sees a bigger possibility of a tuition raise.”I think that [a tuition raise] will be more likely to happen in the future,” he said.Scott Kovach, Towers Residence Association treasurer, said he is opposed to the proposed budget cuts.”I know that there are individuals who currently attend Iowa State because it maintains … a beautiful paradox that I believe is unique to Iowa,” said Kovach, sophomore in political science.He said the paradox is an excellent academic school which is affordable to students from middle-class families.”If the proposed cuts are made, the paradox could be eliminated and ISU may well become another school with a prohibitively high cost of tuition,” Kovach said. “There are too many dreams, too many aspirations, too many hopes based on our unique paradox of affordable education to make the big cuts there.”