Joint food service may start in July

Amy Pint

Soon ISU students wanting Subway or McDonald’s won’t have to dig up change in the couch when they’re hungry.Additional dining options will be available to everyone when the Memorial Union and ISU Dining Services combine resources, so students won’t have to carry money on campus. The money will be stored on their ISUCard, according to the plan.A food service committee has been reviewing plans to merge food service operations of the Memorial Union and the Department of Residence since late October. The groups will be handing in their proposal today for review by Vice President for Student Affairs Thomas Hill.Stewart Burger, associate director of Dining Services, said the consolidation plan would begin July 1, allowing students to make purchases at restaurants in the Union. The plan would be applicable to all students, not only those in the residence halls.”We’re progressing on the business end of it,” he said. “Our goal is just to keep moving ahead.”Teresa Branch, assistant vice president for Student Affairs, is chairwoman of the committee and is working with consultant John Cornyn of the Cornyn-Fasano Group. The company will be supervising the merger between the two university entities.The merger will include the residence department’s dining centers, catering and convenience store operations in the Memorial Union and food court, Scheman and campus vending and cafes. It will exclude concession stands at Jack Trice Stadium and Hilton Coliseum.If the merger does take place, Branch said money will be easier to handle.”It would allow us to deal with it from an economies-of-scale standpoint,” she said. “When you have everything centralized, it’s easier to save money and negotiate for things you need.”Although progress has been made, Branch said she isn’t sure if the consolidation will take place this year.”I’m not sure if we can get through that entire process that’s required for July 1, but we’re looking at the feasibility of it,” she said.Branch said the consolidation will be helpful to all people on and off campus.”If we do manage to consolidate food service,” she said, “we’ll be serving the university, community, those who commute who may eat meals while there are here, faculty and staff.”