Hixson program reaches fund-raising goal

Julie Rule

The Hixson Opportunity Awards program is heading into the future with full funding behind it, ensuring the scholarship’s continuing support for disadvantaged students.

Murray Blackwelder, vice president for External Affairs, said the program has just reached its fund-raising goal of $15 million, an endowment that has ensured its continued funding indefinitely.

“It’ll go on forever,” he said.

Blackwelder said the Hixson program is unique in the United States because it picks one student from each county in Iowa to receive the $10,000, which is awarded in $2,500 portions each year for four years. The 100 new scholarships awarded each year go to students who have had personal or financial struggles. Blackwelder said there are currently 355 Hixson scholars attending Iowa State.

“It gives opportunities for students who normally wouldn’t come to college to come to Iowa State University,” he said.

Interim President Richard Seagrave said about 600 students have participated in the program so far.

Debra Sanborn, coordinator of the Hixson program, said the program also provides services to help connect the students with the university and to be successful academically.

“It allowed me to come to Iowa State. I probably wouldn’t have come right away if I couldn’t have gotten the award,” said Eric Wenke, junior in mathematics.

Nicole Peckumn, senior in exercise and sports science and journalism and mass communication, said the Hixson program has removed the barrier of tuition while also giving her leadership experience, allowing her to give back to the program.

“It’s a huge gift that Ms. Hixson gives to us, and it’s nice to be able to pay back the program somehow,” she said.

She said the program has also been a good resource for her. “Debra [Sanborn] and her staff are excellent resources when you need help with something,” she said. “It’s just been a good experience for me.”

Blackwelder said the Hixson program was part of the President’s Scholarship Campaign, which was a component of the five-year fund raiser, Campaign Destiny: To Become the Best.

“It was truly one of the highlights of the [Campaign Destiny] program,” he said. “To allow 400 Iowans to get an education is just a wonderful feeling.”

Blackwelder said the program, which began in 1995, was named after Christina Hixson, its sole trustee, who contributed $11 million to the program

Sanborn said she hopes the program continues to help many students and that the recipients remain involved in the program.

“The Hixson program is a wonderful opportunity for the students of Iowa, and we hope that students will continue to seek its rewards,” she said.