Y program addresses courtship, relationships

Amy Pint

ISU international students will be speaking the languages of love today as they discuss their countries’ marriage and courtship rituals.

The program, which will be at noon in Room 236 of the Memorial Union, is being sponsored by the YWCA of Ames-ISU as part of their Wednesdays at the Y series.

“A discussion about relationships in different countries is another way of becoming acquainted and developing new understandings,” said Judy Dolphin, director of the YWCA of Ames-ISU.

Dolphin said she hopes the discussion introduces some new ideas about relationships.

“In some regions, young men and women do not date. There are places where arranged marriages are the norm,” she said. “In some areas, a young man and young woman can only go out with a chaperone.

“There are cultural norms and traditions which very much influence relationship.”

She said students would be interested in the differences in global dating. “Students are quite interested in relationships, and they are also curious about other cultures,” she said. “Our students come from around the globe, so everyone can learn from each other.”

Natalie Allen, coordinator of the Wednesdays at the Y program, said the YWCA discussion offers a variety of resources for students.

“I think students would be interested because it may affect them in some aspect, and they just want to learn more about that particular subject,” said Allen, junior in child and family services. “Every Wednesday it focuses on different topics that people are interested in hearing and learning more about.”

Allen said the discussions are open for anyone in the ISU and Ames communities.

“It is basically an informal discussion where the floor is open to anyone to ask questions and speak on that particular topic of that day,” she said. “We always have speakers, and the audience is there to learn and ask questions.”