Colleges welcome parents

Becca Cooper

In honor of Family Weekend, seven ISU colleges are hosting receptions for students and their families prior to the Iowa State-Nebraska football game.

“A lot of time and effort has been put into the planning of Family Weekend and the college receptions,” said Andrea Wonderlich, co-chair of special events for Family Weekend.

The colleges of Agriculture, Education, Engineering, Design, Family and Consumer Sciences, Business and Liberal Arts and Sciences will hold receptions at various campus buildings or the Scheman Building.

In the 10th year of Family Weekend open houses, the receptions will give families a chance to experience in one afternoon what students experience every day.

In addition to welcoming families, college staff and faculty will be available to answer questions and discuss academic success and opportunities available. Families will also be able to see students work and look around the college buildings.

“It’s nice that the majority of the receptions are housed in the colleges’ buildings where classes are held,” said Julie Larson, director of Student and Career Programs for the Alumni Association. “It gives families an opportunity to see where students are going to classes, what they are doing and to ask any questions since the event occurs at a pertinent time when families have many questions.”

Each college plans specific details that make the event best for students and families.

“I hope students take full advantage of introducing their family to what they are studying, the faculty, their individual college and the entire university,” said Wonderlich, junior in English.