E-week planning benefits students

Abbie Moeller

The interaction of students, faculty, alumni and industrial business people is the focus of the activities for Engineering Week 2000. The week, which begins Sunday, is planned by students to benefit them, said Brad Matt, Engineering Week 2000 co-chair. “The students know what they want,” he said. Dean of Engineering James Melsa said students get experience planning the event, and they also benefit from the exposure to faculty and industry they receive during the week. Matt, senior in mechanical engineering, said the week will begin Sunday with a golf tournament at Veenker Memorial Golf Course on Stange Road. The golf tournament costs $10 and includes one round of golf with a cart, snacks and golf towels. On Tuesday, Lieutenant Governor Sally Pederson will participate in the ribbon cutting ceremony and tour the career fair. The fair, which will be from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. in Hilton Coliseum and the Scheman Building, will include about 270 companies. This makes it the second largest career fair in the country, Melsa said. Matt said he is looking forward to the faculty luncheon on Wednesday, which will give students a chance to talk with faculty members. “It’s a chance to show our appreciation to the engineering faculty,” he said. Continuing with the interaction of students and faculty, the Engineer’s Ball will be Saturday night. “It’s going to be in a huge tent, like for a wedding, under the Campanile,” Matt said. He said it will include formal dress, a swing band and fireworks. Melsa said he also is excited about this event since it is something new that stems from last year’s Millennium Ball. Other events such as a picnic, intramurals and high school senior visitation will round out the week of events. Last year Engineering Week won the “Most Outstanding E-week in the United States” Award at the National Association of Engineering Student Council. This year’s conference will be held shortly after E-week. Tickets and registration for all the events are available in Room 308 of Marston Hall.