Enrollment hits all-time high

Magda Beme

Topping a previous high set in 1985, this fall’s enrollment at Iowa State is the highest it has ever been. Iowa State welcomed 26,845 students this semester, an increase of 735 over fall 1999 enrollment. The previous high was 26,529. Retention programs, enhanced student services, residence hall and facilities improvements, accomplishments of the athletic program and the quality of central campus have all been credited to the rise in student enrollment for the fall 2000 semester, said David Bousquet, assistant vice president for enrollment. With such a diverse lineup of programming, it’s hard to pick out a single program that can be solely attributed to the rise in enrollment, Bousquet said. “Personal attention makes a difference,” he said. “The friendliness of the campus, students and staff all contribute.” Vice President for Student Affairs Thomas Hill said Iowa State’s excellence in several areas has made it appealing to students. “The institution has had several good years. Its programs are well-respected and have experienced success,” he said. “There have been a lot of things that have been going well for the university. We’ve had lots of visibility and success over last few years.” Many factors contributed to the high number of students this year, Hill said. “When you have record enrollment, it’s not just recruitment for one or two years that increases enrollment. It’s also retaining students,” he said. “There are a number of things that have been done to attract and retain students. You get a combination of things that contribute to success in enrollment.” The higher numbers should not be negative for the university, Hill said. “I anticipate we’ll handle it well because things have gone smoothly for the start of academic year,” he said. “It’ll have an effect, but it’s all positive for the most part.” The Department of Residence has felt the pressure of the enrollment surge and continues to meet the needs of its students, Bousquet said. Temporary housing, located in the north end of Helser Hall, has been home for many students who did not have a bed waiting for them when they arrived. The Department of Residence hired more staff members to help with the influx of students, Alexander said. “We increased custodial staff compared to what we had last year. We also added managers and student employees at Hawthorn Court,” he said. Although the enrollment surge may cause temporary inconveniences to students in temporary housing, plans for the future are not going to change. The enrollment department plans to continue their goals of boosting student attendance. “We’re going to continue doing what we’re doing,” Bousquet said.