“On the Flip Side” crowd surpasses expectations

Amy Pint

ISU students lined up as the smell of burgers wafted through the air during the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center Open House Thursday. Volunteers consisting of male ISU leaders, administrators and coaches prepared the burgers as part of the “On the Flip Side . Updating the Grill,” cookout sponsored by the Women’s Center. The group was planning to serve up to 300 free vegetarian and organic hamburgers until 1 p.m., but the crowd was already forming before the 11 a.m. starting time. Nancy Bevin, interim director of the Women’s Center, said the line seemed to get longer as noon rolled around. “It’s a nice day so it brought a big crowd,” she said. “We have about 350 people to serve, but only about 300 burgers.” Bevin said the reason male campus leaders were asked to cook the burgers for the program was to highlight the Women’s Center men’s outreach program. She said the Women’s center serves all women, faculty and students, through programs that deal with issues such as sexual awareness and gender communication. Assisting in the event was Dennis Peterson, director of the International Education Service Office. He said the event was a good idea since it would raise awareness and give students a free meal at the same time. “It’s nice to see students come out for this cause,” he said. DeeAnn Olson, junior in interior design, said she saw a friend working at the tent and decided to stop. “I also saw people walking in earlier and it seemed like a nice crowd,” she said. “I like how there’s a variety in burgers, too.” Students were served both vegetarian and certified organic burgers during the cookout. The organic burgers were bought from the Rosmann Family Farms through funds from the Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture. Maria Rosmann, one of the owners of the Rosmann Family Farms, was honored as a “Visionary Iowa Woman” during the event. Rosmann said the cookout was a nice cooperation between the Leopold Center and the Women’s Center.