3- It’s a magic number

Julie Rule and Jeff Stell

ISU fans celebrate before and after Saturday’s game While several ISU students stormed the field after the ISU football team’s triumph over Iowa this weekend, drinking and tailgating were among the activities of choice for others. Josh Reicks, sophomore in pre-business, said he went to Iowa City to watch the game and had a good time afterward. “I went out in the parking lot and got drunk,” Reicks said. “Then I went to the bars all night.” Tailgating was a popular way for students to spend their time before the game. “We just tailgated for awhile and then went back to Ames,” said Jamie Weydert, senior in management information systems. “It was a good time.” Some students spent more time in Iowa City after the game. Kristin Brown, freshman in animal science, said she stayed after the game and tailgated with friends and family. Dave Inman, junior in computer engineering, played in the marching band during the game. He said he was happy with the Cyclones’ performance. “We were better able to put `em away this year,” he said. Amy Stell, freshman in pre-professional health, said she came back to Iowa State right after the game. She said she heard about some ISU students beating up someone from the University of Iowa. “It’s a game, and it got a little out of control,” she said. Some students did not get to go to Iowa City, but still managed to have fun. Adam Barrick, freshman in mechanical engineering, was unable to get tickets and had to settle for watching the game with his friends. “It was a pretty good game,” he said. “[Afterwards] I got drunk.” Ben Menz, freshman in liberal arts and sciences, also watched the game on television and said he had fun afterwards. “We went out to some parties with some guys on my floor,” he said. “They were great.” A big Ames turnout in Iowa City helps the Cyclones win As the ISU football team garnered its third straight win over rival Iowa this weekend, Cyclone fans held their own against the cheers of the tens of thousands of Hawkeye fans. The fans’ enthusiasm did not go unnoticed by the players. “When you come to a stadium that holds 70,000 people and 10,000 to 15,000 are Cyclone fans, it’s great support,” said ISU free safety Dustin Avey. “They made quite a bit of noise to rival the Iowa fans and stayed behind us the whole game.” In the last two minutes of the game, chants of “Beat the Hawks” and “Cyclone State” pervaded the stadium. After the 24-14 victory, Cyclone fans rushed the field to join in the celebration with the players and coaches. The win was the third in a row in a series that has seen Hawkeye domination. The scene was reminiscent of Cyclone fans’ storming the Kinnick Stadium field after Iowa State’s 27-9 win over Iowa in 1998. The win snapped Iowa’s 15-game winning streak. “It was great out there. I thought we had a pretty good showing in the crowd,” said offensive lineman Andy Stensrud. After celebrating on the field, the players and coaches were greeted by more fans as they headed to the locker room. Cyclone supporters lined the walls of the tunnel that leads to the room to congratulate the team and exchange high-fives with players and coaches. “The crowd support is very important to us. Those guys came all the way over here into hostile territory, and they cheered and cheered. They never went home and never gave up, and that’s the best feeling,” defensive lineman Reggie Hayward said. “And then at the end of the game they come out on the field and congratulate you. It doesn’t get any better than that.”