New design Web site has answers

Amber Johnson

ISU College of Design students have a new Internet resource site that provides information about computer software, tutorials and additional class information. “The site is meant as a way for students to get help without having to ask for it,” said Jennifer Nieland, the Web site’s system support specialist. While the site focuses mainly on computer software, it also includes other information and resources for design students. This includes information such as Mac and PC tutorials, design lab news, staff information, tips for students and Digital Coffeebreak, a weekly online article. Start-up plans for many computer design programs are also available on the site, including Pagemaker, Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark Xpress, Infinit-D and Dreamweaver. “Many students see what they want to design in their head but can’t create it,” Nieland said. “This way students can easily learn how to create it and see how it will turn out.” The new site also provides a resource for instructors wanting to provide additional class information or get students started on projects. “As an instructor, the site allows me to have an additional resource to look at tutorials together,” said Chris Seeger, temporary assistant professor of landscape architecture. Although the site was launched last March, it is not widely known by many design students since it was not publicized until this semester. Students who do know about it said they take advantage of the easy access. “I’ve used the site a few times and the information has been very useful,” said Nick Kraska, freshman in pre-architecture. Nieland has been working on the site since she was hired last January. She said the project “will never be completely done” since new class and project information and tutorials will be added continuously to the Web site.