Today’s Briefs

Various

Student hit by motorcycle An ISU student was struck by a motorcycle Friday afternoon near the intersection of Osborn Drive and Morrill Road. Minas Kavallieros, freshman in engineering, was eastbound on Osborn Drive around 2:45 p.m. when a motorcycle attempting to make a left turn onto Morrill Road struck him, Department of Public Safety officials said. Kavallieros was taken to Mary Greeley Medical Center where he was treated and released. He had some scrapes and bruises, but no broken bones. “He apparently, I think, turned into me,” Kavallieros said. “I was just going straight, and he decided to make a left turn. There were no stop signs, so I didn’t have to yield. I didn’t see him until I heard the brakes squealing.” The motorcycle was driven by Adam J. Forch, sophomore in computer science, DPS officials said. – Kati Jividen Blood drive begins ISU students will have a chance to give a bit of themselves this week during the Fall Blood Drive. Courtney Bell, blood drive aide, said students can donate blood from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. “It’s a good cause. Everyone should be supportive of it and come out,” said Bell, sophomore in apparel merchandising, design and production. John Livingston, co-chair of the Blood Drive Committee, said committee members have been working on the drive since last spring and have set a goal of 2,000 participants. Livingston said the drive will provide movies, food and a daily dance from Dance Marathon committee members to ensure students have an enjoyable experience. – Andrea Hauser