Cargill Day offers one-on-one interaction

Stephanie Veldman

Cargill, an international marketer, processor and distributor of agricultural, food, financial and industrial products, will be on campus tonight to inform students about internship and employment opportunities. The ISU/Cargill Day 2000 activities kick off at 6 p.m. in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union with a welcome from Gary Hicks, Cargill IT recruiter and ISU steering committee member. There will also be a panel discussion and a question-and-answer session with a few of last year’s interns. Beth Oddan, campus coordinator for Cargill’s human resources department, said the panel discussion will focus on e-business and will include five members of the Cargill team. “They will be talking about the risks, impacts and opportunities found in e-business, as well as the importance of it in our business,” Oddan said. “The panel will include an interactive question-and-answer session where students and faculty can ask questions about e-business.” Following this panel, Cargill interns will be speaking about their experiences and intern programs they participated in. “I think [students] should explore all their options, and this is a good way to find out what the company is about and talk with students who have gone through the internships,” said Tori Cameron, senior in agricultural business. Cameron, who was a Cargill intern last year, said she would be at the meeting tonight to answer any questions students had. “If people are interested in the company, they should find out as much information as possible about [Cargill] for the interview process,” she said. “The meeting will help them understand all aspects of the company.” Oddan said the event is designed to give students a preliminary meeting with Cargill recruiters before their college’s career day. A mini career fair at the end of the evening will allow students to meet with representatives on a more informal level where they can ask questions and find out the information they need. Mike Gaul, director of career placement in the College of Agriculture, said this event is a unique opportunity for students because Iowa State and Cargill have a good relationship and strong ties. “It is a great chance to speak with executives with Cargill,” Gheaul said. “Students don’t get to speak with executives on campus that often.” Oddan said that dress is business-casual and students should come prepared to have a good time. “I think it is a really good chance [for students] to see how global Cargill is,” Oddan said. “It is a chance to meet with recruiters before the career fair and talk with them to get more in-depth information on Cargill.”