Men serve organic food at Women’s Center

Brandy Hirsch

ISU students looking for a free meal will have some luck today if they stop at the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center Open House. The Women’s Center open house, “On the Flip Side . Updating the Grill,” will be serving up to 300 free vegetarian and organic hamburgers from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. The burgers will be prepared by male campus leaders, administrators and coaches at Iowa State. Nancy Bevin, interim director of the Women’s Center, said the purpose of the open house is to bring visibility to the programs and services offered by the Women’s Center, and it is not a fund raiser. Bevin said the center serves all women, faculty and students through programs that deal with issues such as sexual awareness and gender communication. Men are grilling the burgers for the open house since the Women’s Center also has an outreach program to include men, Bevin said. First-time burger flipper Dennis Peterson, director of the International Education Service Office, said he encourages students and faculty to come learn about the Women’s Center and have lunch. “The cookout is a way of supporting the Women’s Center and women in agriculture at the same time,” he said. Peterson also said that this is the first time the center has made a point of getting beef made in Iowa that is organic. The certified organic beef was bought from the Rosmann Family Farms through funds from the Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture. Maria Rosmann, one of the owners of the Rosmann Family Farms, is being honored as a “Visionary Iowa Woman” during the open house. “I’m humbled by it,” Rosmann said. Rosmann said that since the meat is organic, no commercial chemicals may be used on the livestock. Rosmann said the impetus for raising organic starting in 1996 came after she and her husband visited a farm in Boone that was chemical-free and cleaner than their own farm. “Every type of farming presents its own challenges,” she said.