Entomology seminar shows research

Jana Mcbride

Insect enthusiasts will have the opportunity to learn from speakers within and outside the Department of Entomology in the department’s biannual seminar series. The purpose of the seminar series is to broaden the exposure of ISU students and faculty to the study of insects by bringing in entomologists from around the country. The department also will showcase its research to these visitors, said Professor Joel Coats, chairman of the department. “It’s an education process in both directions,” he said. Bryony Bonning, seminar and lecture committee chairwoman, makes contacts to bring in speakers for the series. Bonning said she books speakers from around the country based on available funds and suggestions made by the entire department. “We’re always looking for locals, especially when we have reduced budgets,” said Bonning, associate professor of entomology. On-campus presenters this fall include entomology faculty, entomology graduate students giving masters or doctoral seminars and Provost Rollin Richmond. The seminar series begins on Monday, Sept. 25 with the Harold Gunderson Memorial Lecture titled “Changes and Challenges in Extension Entomology.” W. Pat Morrison of Texas A&M University will be giving the lecture. Other topics this fall include new technologies for teaching and research, evolutionary aspects of the fruit fly, integrated pest management, insect pheromones and the effect of pollen on Bt corn, Bonning said. Lectures will be at 4:10 p.m. Mondays in Room E-164 of Lagomarcino Hall. Graduate students will host a reception at 3:30 p.m. in Room 418 of Science II before each seminar, Bonning said. Because the entomology department includes three separate buildings, Bonning said the receptions “facilitate interaction with the department.” In addition, she said the students are able to enhance links with outside speakers. While attendance is not required at the seminars, Bonning said she encourages all entomology students to attend. “I would like everybody to be there,” she said. Laura Weiser, president of the Entomology Graduate Student Organization, said most graduate students attend all of the lectures to reap the benefits they offer. “Both the faculty and the students give the seminars and are able to get constructive criticism from the audience,” said Weiser, graduate student in entomology. “It also enables you to diversify out of your own little niche, so you’re not just thinking about your research area,” she said. Weiser said she will probably be giving her doctoral seminar in the spring seminar series, which Bonning said will include several more outside speakers and special seminars.