Dining Services consolidation final

Amber Billings

ISU students will have additional dining options next year when the Memorial Union and ISU Dining Services consolidate. Stewart Burger, director designate of ISU Dining Services, said the plan will begin July 1, 2001. Students will be able to use their meals plans in both the residence hall dining centers and at the Memorial Union. The new part of the plan will allow students to purchase food at restaurants in the Memorial Union. “The goal is to have the availability to let students use their dining plan [throughout the campus],” Burger said. Currently, students living in the dorms spend $1,978 for 20 meals a week for two semesters, and they have 50 dining dollars automatically added onto their ISUCard. If students run out of dining dollars, they can purchase more at 1215 Friley Hall. Each dining dollar costs $1, Burger said. In the future, students will be able to purchase the dollars online at AccessPlus. “They will be able to check their dining dollars balance and buy them by putting the cost on their [university bill] or through credit card,” he said. The 350 to 400 off-campus students who have meal plans will also be able to use the service. “It’s a plan that is designed for all students, off campus and for the greek community,” Burger said. “The plan is an opportunity for all students to be able to not carry around cash on campus.” This year was a trial run to see whether or not the students would enjoy dining dollar, Burger said. “It’s very convenient,” he said. “There has been a good reaction from the students.” Jessica Rose, freshman in pre-business, said it would be better to go to the Union with her dining dollars. “Sometimes it’s easier to go to the MU and grab something to eat instead of carrying around a sack lunch,” she said. Currently, students can use their dining dollars at C-Stores, receive additional items in sack-lunch lines and have food service options for guests. Chuck Fletcher, sophomore in chemistry, said he has never used his dining dollars because of confusion and lack of information about the program “I think [the consolidation] would be good, but I think ISU needs to clarify this whole dining dollars business, like what it can or can’t be used for,” he said.