No plans at ISU to ban alcohol in dorms

Wendy Weiskircher

A new policy at the University of Iowa prohibits the use of alcohol and tobacco products in the residence halls, but ISU officials said a similar policy is not in store for Iowa State. The University of Iowa introduced the policy this fall in an effort to promote the academic environment of the dorms. “One of the things that makes people want to move out of the dorms is that [the dorms] aren’t conducive to studying,” said Christopher Linn, vice president of the UI student government. The policy, which covers all nine UI residence halls, is considered substance-free and was implemented at the start of the school year. University personnel believe the absence of alcohol and tobacco products in the dorms will help improve the atmosphere for studying. “I think this supports the environment we’re trying to create that encourages learning in and out of the classroom,” said Mary Ellen Sinnwell, UI residence life manager. Since the drinking age in Iowa changed to 21 in the mid-1980s, the university has allowed legal-age students to drink in their dorm rooms, as long as no underage students were present. Under the new policy, no alcohol is permitted in the buildings, regardless of the age of the residents. Dorm residents are allowed to keep tobacco and herbal products in their rooms, but they would have to go outside to smoke or chew. So far, students seem to accept the change in policy without a problem, Sinnwell said. “Students in the residence halls are talking very positively about the smoke-free environment,” she said. “Those who smoke have been receptive to the policy without many questions about it.” A similar policy is not being considered at Iowa State, Director of Residence Randy Alexander said. “The only thing we’ve considered down the road is different neighborhoods for different types of students,” he said. Maple Hall, which is 100 percent substance-free, is designed for younger students, while Hawthorn Court houses mostly upper-class students. “We wouldn’t consider it for Hawthorn Court because almost all of the students living there are old enough to drink,” Alexander said. “As long as they do so responsibly, I don’t have a problem with it.” While this is the first year the University of Iowa is enforcing the substance-free policy for the dorms, Sinnwell said the idea came out of ongoing residence hall assessment. UI residence personnel found two major trends in dorm life: an increase in the number of students who requested no-smoking rooms and a majority of under-class students in the dorms. Jones said 95 percent of all dorm residents are under the legal drinking age. For that reason, Linn said, the residence halls probably will not take a hit in numbers due to the policy. “This may cause older students who are 21 to reconsider living in the residence halls, but there are so few upperclassmen living in the dorms as it is, I don’t think it will have that much effect,” he said. Some UI dorm residents said they doubt the policy will curb the consumption of alcohol in the dorms. “I don’t think people will leave because I know kids will do it anyway,” said UI dorm resident Cathy Barber, sophomore in business. Many non-smoking students appreciate the smoking ban. “With smoking rooms, the surrounding rooms get pretty smoky because of the ventilation systems,” Linn said. “I think the university received a lot of complaints.” Other students see the smoking ban as a violation of rights. “I’m kind of mixed on this,” said dorm resident Leanne Turnis, sophomore with an open major. “I think it’s a good idea, but it seems like it’s stepping on smokers’ rights.” Penalties for policy violations will be considered on a case-by-case basis, Jones said. “All sanctions are dependent upon the facts in each case,” he said. “There is no specific fine.” After one week, no problems with the policy have been reported. “The university is looking to improve the atmosphere, and so far, students have been accepting of it,” Linn said. “If they want to go party or have fun, they know there are places to do that besides the dorms.”