Search is on for new president

Julie Rule

Now that former ISU President Martin Jischke is at Purdue University, the search for his successor is under way. “It’s going to be a process that involves several steps,” said Benjamin Allen, chairman of the Presidential Search and Screen Advisory Committee. Selecting members of the search committee was the first step in the quest to find a permanent replacement for Jischke, and the 27 committee candidates were approved by the state Board of Regents in July. The next meeting of the search committee will be from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sept. 15 in Room 115 of the Office and Laboratory Building. The second step is to “develop the criteria by which we will identify and evaluate the prospects for the position of president here at Iowa State,” said Allen, dean of the College of Business. “That is where we are now.” A subcommittee led by David Hopper, Faculty Senate president and member of the search committee, recently was formed to develop these criteria. The committee is looking to gain insight from the ISU community to develop the criteria by which a new president will be selected. To do this, ISU staff, faculty and students are invited to three open forums at the Memorial Union, where they can join in discussing the criteria. Allen encourages students, faculty and staff to attend the forums. “This is part of the open process that allows everyone to participate,” he said. “These open forums are very, very good mechanisms for getting a discussion about these criteria.” He said the subcommittee also will be accepting suggestions and ideas through e-mail and telephone. The third step will be searching out and evaluating the people who apply for the position, Allen said. The committee will be using the criteria to narrow down the list of applicants in a series of closed meetings. These selections must be approved by the Board of Regents. In the fourth step, the committee will present the four finalists for the presidency to the ISU community and to the Board of Regents. This process will involve campus visits. Although faculty, staff and students will give input, the Board of Regents will make the final decision on the new president. Allen said the search process is going well. “We have a very strong committee,” he said. “I am very, very pleased with the progress so far.” Peter Rabideau, dean of liberal arts and sciences, said he was certain the committee will find a good president. “I have every confidence in the search process,” he said. Rabideau said he liked Jischke’s leadership and hopes his successor will have some similar methods. “I think he had a great vision for Iowa State University,” Rabideau said. “I would hope we would be able to attract a person who has similar leadership qualities.” Carol Meeks, dean of family and consumer sciences, said she would like to see “someone that would build a real sense of community at Iowa State among faculty, students and alumni.” “They need to bring some real leadership skills and build on what Dr. Jischke has developed,” she said. For more information, visit ISU President Search. VOICE YOUR OPINION!!! Check out the online poll.