Suntken hoping to be part of volleyball rebuilding

Sarah Ruth

After being a four-time starter and valuable asset for Indianola High School, Freshman Steph Suntken will take the court this season not as an Indian but as a Cyclone. Suntken came from the south-central town of Indianola where she excelled not only in athletics but also in academics, where she was a member of the National Honor Society. Suntken, a primary enforcer for the Indians, became one of the state’s top recruits after she led Indianola to the state semifinals during her senior year. She attacked the net with 18 kills and recorded five blocks during the semifinals on her journey to Class 3-A all-tournament honors. Such honors during her senior year included being named to the 1999 Iowa Girls Coaches Association as a first-team elite squad member and being selected to the first-team all-CIML. At the end of her high school career, Suntken began to look at the University of Northern Iowa and Drake as major colleges, but also to Division 2 schools such as North and South Dakota. Out of her choices, she decided on Iowa State. “I chose ISU because once I met with the coaches, my decision was final,” Suntken said. “There’s a positive atmosphere here – the conference is great, and it’s a rebuilding year for the team, and I can be part of that.” Suntken, like many others, has learned that college is nothing like the old homecourts. “It’s nothing like playing in high school, it’s a totally different game,” she said. “During high school practices, there were certain things you could get away with where here it’s a different story. The practices are constantly intense, and there is more of a time commitment. I’m not playing four sports anymore – I have to concentrate on one.” Volleyball Head Coach Linda Grensing acknowledged Suntken’s talent right from the start. “She’s a winner; she has great athleticism,” Grensing said. “[She is] a great attacker and ball handler, and she has the ability to read the game, which is the key.” With only one senior, the Cyclones are faced with a young team, but they are still experienced. “Even with a young team, we’re still fighting for positions,” Suntken said. While Suntken won’t be starting right away, Grensing said she has a very bright future. “She’ll do well and is on the verge of becoming a starter – where she goes is up to her,” Grensing said. “She’ll be very successful in the future, and it’ll be enjoying to see what she’s like.” When Suntken does enter the game, she’ll be putting forth 110 percent, she said. “I hope to be a positive role model when I do come in and play. I hope to be a person that people come to look to and also be a good communicator. All I want to do is help the team out and have the chance to even upset a few opponents,” Suntken said.