Freshman adjust to ISU

Ben Burke

Jose Gonzalez traveled a long way from home this weekend to start his college career at Iowa State. Gonzalez, freshman in accounting from Puerto Rico, chose Iowa State not only for its beautiful campus but also as a way to be independent and adventurous. “I came here to make something of myself,” he said. “I miss home, but I have to go out and be my own person.” Gonzalez was one of thousands of incoming freshmen who packed up their belongings and moved into residence halls, apartments and greek houses last weekend. For many, the biggest adjustment will be moving away from home for the first time. Kim Vanwesten, an undeclared freshman from Swea City, moved into Knapp Hall at the Towers Residence Hall Association. “It’s a blast,” she said. “I have an awesome roommate.” Leaving her home town has bothered her a little bit. However, she said her mother was quite upset at the move. Vanwesten’s mother is not alone. Although many students make the transition into college life smoothly, the hardest transition can be for parents. “We’ll miss her, but our adjustment has been good so far,” said Paula Fordice of Fairmont, Minn., whose daughter, Alissa, is a freshman in liberal arts. “There’s a point when you become ready, if your child is ready to move on.” Cindy Engel of Eden Prairie, Minn., whose son Ryan will be a freshman in aerospace engineering, praised the Birch-Welch-Roberts residence hall, but questioned some of the university’s orientation programs. “The New Student Days program should have been less regimented. There was no time for students to go out on their own to get acclimated to dorm and college life,” she said. There are alternatives to living in the ISU residence halls. Nate Snook, freshman in meteorology from Ames, chose to live at home to save money. On the other hand, Noah Johnston, an undeclared freshman from Stratford, Conn., decided to live at Phi Gamma Delta fraternity.