Online class lists name with faces

Jana Mcbride

Remembering names and faces of students just got a bit easier for ISU instructors. Through Access Plus, instructors now can download class lists, e-mail students directly and view photos and other demographic information for each student in their classes. Instructors also can use the program to keep track of adds and drops and create spreadsheets for grading purposes. Another feature of the program will be its ability to interface with Web instructional packages, such as WebCT and ClassNet to set up a Web community. Though this information will still be available in paper form and online through the department offices, ISU Registrar Kathleen Jones said there was a need for “something that is more accessible to the faculty.” “They didn’t really have a comparable service before,” she said. The paper method, she added, will still be used for grading and attendance purposes. The program was created late last spring by the Administrative Data Processing Office and the registrar’s office through faculty recommendations. The new system is coded so instructors only can view the information for their classes. For security reasons, instructors are unable to give student information to other faculty members, and students may choose not to have their information released. Ted Millen, academic adviser in civil engineering, said he will use the program much like the faculty to set up a spreadsheet for his orientation class. Millen said students may notice that the instructors are more organized and have “more of a handle on who’s who” in their classes as a result of the program. Mike Doran, associate professor of accounting, also said he liked having students’ photos available to him. “The pictures are a good idea,” he said. “It will make it easier for me to communicate with students on a one-on-one basis.” Doran said the program doesn’t do anything new, but will save him clerical time. “It’s not anything I didn’t have before; it’s just more efficient,” he said. For more infomation visit the Access Plus website.