IRHA leaders ready to start a new year

Amber Billings

Veishea and a new storage policy in the residence halls are two issues Inter-Residence Hall leaders expect to face early this year. President Tom Plagge and Vice President Chris Benson said this should be a busy semester for the Inter-Residence Hall Association, the student governing organization for the residence halls. Plagge, senior in physics, and Benson, senior in animal science, said one issue they will be addressing is a new storage policy the Department of Residence is implementing. The new storage policy limits the types of items that can be stored, establishes a new process of storing items and voices concerns on liability issues. All residents were to be informed of the new policy when they checked into the hall desk before moving into their rooms. “The [Department of Residence] got complaints about things disappearing from storage,” Plagge said. “It’s a mess and they’re going to make a change without IRHA approval – that’s not flexible.” Benson said so far there has been a disapproving reaction from the students. “People haven’t been happy with the change,” he said. Plagge and Benson said the IRHA will voice the student’s opinions to the Department of Residence and see if they can make some changes. “The most we can do is complain and see if they’ll listen to us,” Plagge said. Another issue Plagge and Benson said they believe will raise concern within the parliament and its constituents is Veishea. Plagge said he would like to keep Veishea alive and get the students in the residence halls more involved with the campus-wide celebration. “A lot of residence halls aren’t involved like they should be,” he said. “It’s not their fault. It’s [usually] been all greek and the residence halls don’t know what to do.” Benson said he would be willing to put in his time in getting the students excited about Veishea. “I look forward to working with the [Veishea] co-chairs and finding ways to get people involved,” Benson said. Already this semester, IRHA has helped residents by delivering carpets, lofts and welcome-aid kits to students. Although the deliveries were part of a fund-raiser, Plagge said their main concern was helping the students. “The freshman said it’s really convenient to order in advance. We just had to make sure everyone got what they ordered,” Plagge said. The first IRHA meeting of the year is scheduled for 7 p.m. Aug. 31 in the Memorial Union. The exact location will be announced at a later date.