Ames group advocates benefits of Qigong

Dustin Mcdonough

Even after years of debate, the legitimacy of alternative medicines such as acupuncture and herbal remedies has remained largely undetermined.

One group in Ames stands firm in its belief that a traditional Chinese practice can help them live a healthy life and even cure diseases.

The practice, known as Qigong (pronounced chee-goong), is a set of mental and physical exercises that its proponents believe to be helpful in maintaining a healthy mind and body, said Yuhong Yang, assistant professor of statistics.

Yang and his wife, Julie Wu, have been practicing Qigong for almost six years. He said it involves many different exercises focusing on breathing, posture and conscience.

Yang and Wu came to Ames in 1996, bringing with them their knowledge of Qigong. After sharing the techniques with other people in the area, they started a small group for followers of the method.

Today, that group has grown to include more than 100 Ames residents, including many ISU students and faculty members.

James Vary, professor of physics and astronomy, said since he started practicing Qigong, he has experienced an increase in energy and weight loss. For the last year, he has done exercises four times a week, twice in private and twice in groups.

“One of the major benefits of Qigong is the relaxation brought about by meditation,” Vary said. “It reduces stress levels, promotes a healthy outlook toward people and situations, helps me sleep better and just promotes a healthy lifestyle in general.”

Like any alternative medicine, Qigong has its skeptics, but Yang and Wu said research has shown that the method does indeed have positive effects on the people who practice it.

Yang mentioned the Chinese physician Yan Xin, who has done extensive research on Qigong and developed his own version of the exercises.

“He has visited the U.S. and introduced Qigong to thousands of people,” Yang said. “He has conducted many experiments in China and America that show Qigong does have beneficial effects.”

Studies of Yan’s work have been published in numerous scientific journals in China. Last year, his experiments were published in the American journal Material Research Innovation, Yang said.

Wu said in addition to research, the fact that a large number of Qigong practitioners have reported positive effects testifies to the benefits of the exercises.

A report from the Yan Xin Qigong chapters of Iowa said their members have reported several major health benefits, including reduction in cholesterol, alleviation of migraines, curing of allergies and other effects.

Wu also noted former ISU Dean of Engineering David Kao claimed Qigong reduced the pain caused by bone spurs he had on his vertebra for more than 10 years.

“We also have students in our group who have said they have better grade point averages and better relationships because of Qigong,” Wu said. “You can’t just ignore evidence like that.”

Vary said he has been unable so far to find a scientific explanation for the effects Qigong seems to have on the people who practice it, but he thought it would be better understood in the future.

“One thing you can easily notice is that there is increasing scientific attention to a link between physical health and mental well-being,” he said. “I think we’ll probably come to know a lot more about how Qigong works in the future.”

A pair of information sessions about Qigong will be held this weekend. The first will be on Saturday in Boone at the public library at 10 a.m. A session for Ames residents and ISU students will be held Sunday at 2 p.m. in the Memorial Union Gallery.