Parade, concerts top list of Veishea memories

Julie Rule

The parade and show of school spirit were cited as some of the best Veishea memories for ISU administrators, faculty and students.

“My favorite memories are many years ago taking my children to the parade and more recently taking my grandchildren to the parade,” said Dean Ulrichson, president of Faculty Senate.

The parade and the enthusiasm of the children are also highlights for ISU President Martin Jischke.

“I think I’ve enjoyed every parade I’ve been in,” he said. “Tossing candy is always fun.”

Jischke said he has also enjoyed every Stars Over Veishea performance he has seen, calling them “a wonderful display of student talent.”

“I have certainly enjoyed most of the Veisheas I have participated in at Iowa State,” he said.

Thomas Hill, vice president for Student Affairs, said his favorite memory was being in the parade his first year.

“It was exciting. That’s my favorite part of Veishea,” he said.

Hill said he liked throwing candy at the kids.

“I was more excited than the kids,” he said. “The whole weekend is an exciting weekend. It’s really good.”

Another highlight for Hill was “students stepping up to the challenge.”

“My first year here was the first radical change to Veishea, and students just responded so well,” he said.

Marty Province, assistant professor of music, said his favorite memory also came from the parade.

“[It was] the year the pep band won second place in the nontraditional float contest, and I didn’t know we were in a contest,” he said.

He said he enjoyed taking his children to the events

“On Veishea weekend, I’m more of a townie than a director,” he said. “It can be, at least, a family-oriented event. My 8-year-old and my 4-year-old love it,” he said.

Jim Hutter, associate professor of political science, said he’s been impressed by the work students put into Veishea.

“My favorite memories, essentially, are the tremendous amount of work and organization that students put into it — the cooperation, the dedication, the skill,” he said.

He also enjoyed the parade, especially the floats and marching chairs brigade.

“The floats in general, especially the large floats, are just breathtaking,” he said.

Erik Heggen, senior in agricultural business, said his favorite memory was working on the College of Agriculture float last year.

“It was good time to stay up with a bunch of friends and work on the float,” he said.

The Goo Goo Dolls concert was a favorite memory for some students.

“I was in the front row,” said Carrie McDonald, sophomore in food science.

Emily Noyes, sophomore in exercise and sports science, said she thoroughly enjoyed the concert.

“It was really good; it was a lot of fun,” she said.