Students can look for internships, jobs at Career Day

Meggann Brown

Students can job hunt or learn about career possibilities at today’s Spring Career Day for the Liberal Arts and Sciences College.

The Spring Career Day will be held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Great Hall and Campanile Room in the Memorial Union.

More than 150 businesses and organizations will be attending, including General Mills, Marine and Navy Officer programs, Schering Plough Animal Health, John Deere and 3M. Organizers expect more than 3,000 students to visit the event.

Kathy Wieland, adviser of the Spring Career Day Committee 2000, said the fair is an excellent opportunity for job-seekers.

“This is a great way for students to learn how career fairs work. They also get to talk to company representatives about career paths and learn how to best prepare for a career while they’re still in college,” Wieland said.

Some employers at the fair will be looking only for permanent employees, but other openings also will be available.

“This is a great opportunity for students to get internships and permanent positions with companies attending,” said Melody Jennings, chair of the planning committee.

Employers will have an interview day Thursday to talk about interested students’ qualifications. About half of the employers will be participating in the interview day. Interviews will be upon the employer’s request and by appointment only.

Wieland said the interviews serve both students and employers.

“This benefits the employers by letting them get everything done in these two days,” she said.

Wieland also stressed that the fair isn’t exclusive.

“I hope everyone stops by; this isn’t only for business LAS majors. Anyone can attend, including students, faculty, staff and townspeople,” she said.

For more information, log on to www.careers.iastate.edu/springcareerday.