Prof will philosophize physics in new course

Megan Mcgurk

The mysteries of space and time have baffled scholars for centuries, and an ISU professor is trying to explore those questions in depth in a new course he’s currently designing.

Kevin De Laplante, assistant professor of philosophy and religious studies, will be teaching a Philosophy of Physics course in the spring semester of 2001.

“I’m very excited about this class,” he said. “It’s one of my favorite subjects.”

De Laplante said the course will discuss questions such as “What are space and time?” The course will also examine influential physicists such as Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein.

Michael Bishop, associate professor and chairman of philosophy and religious studies, said this course won’t only be about how to apply physics, but also how these theories relate to everyday life.

“This is a university of science and technology,” he said. “Students should be given the opportunity to think philosophically about some of the best scientific theories.”

De Laplante said he is advertising the course to physics students because he thinks they can benefit from a better understanding of the theories discussed in the course.

He said the course will not be limited to physics students. In fact, there are already a number of students in his philosophy of science course who were interested in this class, he said.

“Anyone with any prior interest in philosophical issues related to physics should take this class,” De Laplante said.

Joel Varney, junior in computer science, said he would be interested in taking this course. He said a course like this would benefit students interested in physics because they can “integrate physics with the rest of their lives.”

De Laplante said there will be a prerequisite of three credits in either philosophy or physics for the course, although that is subject to change.

Bishop said the course was offered in spring of 1997, but the instructor left to go to another university.