Some students favor more time during summer break

Julie Rule

Although the Faculty Senate overwhelmingly expressed its approval to extend Iowa State’s winter break by one week, some ISU students aren’t sure that they want the extra time.

With the four-week break option, students would attend classes for one extra week in the spring, shortening summer vacation by a week.

Lili Erdahl, junior in biology, said she would rather keep the three-week break.

“I don’t want to go that long in the summer,” she said. “In my mind, there isn’t much difference between the three-week and four-week break. I don’t think it adds too much to it.”

Nick Kolbet, junior in mechanical engineering, agreed the four-week break is too long.

“I like the three-week break because it gets boring when you’re at home too long,” he said.

Steve Gehlbach, senior in journalism and mass communication, said the break options benefit different people.

“I personally think the three weeks benefits the students more, but I can see where the faculty would want the four weeks also,” he said.

He said getting off one week earlier at the end of the academic year gave him an advantage in his internship last summer.

“Plus, I’m graduating in May, and I’d like to get [out] as early as possible,” Gehlbach said.

Nick Schlesser, freshman in animal ecology, also said he didn’t think changing to four weeks would be a good idea.

“You get too much out of your class rhythm,” he said.

Schlesser said there is more to do in the summer than the winter. “It gives you a better chance to experience freedom,” he said. “You have more options of things you can do.”

Wendy Farber, freshman in general undergraduate studies, said she would prefer to keep it at three weeks, as well. “I would rather get out earlier, so I can work more in the summer,” she said.

However, Trevor Conrad, senior in mechanical engineering, said he would like the extra week off in the winter.

“I’d like it to be four weeks to give us more time,” he said. “I don’t really want to come back after three. It doesn’t seem long enough.”

Matthew McKee, junior in engineering science, said he would also like the extra time.

“I’d go with four weeks instead of three, so I could have more time and get more stuff done over break,” he said.

Nicole Bornhorst, sophomore in animal science, said she would like a four-week break, as well.

“I like it because I work during the winter break, so it doesn’t do much to my schedule,” she said. “Having that extra break in between classes would really be nice.”