Students ‘bear’ themselves for BWR Challenge

Michelle Havran

Freezing winds gusting up to 45 mph didn’t keep ISU students from running around outside in their underwear in the fourth-annual Polar Bear Race in Old Richardson Court Association.

Despite the 13 degree temperature, 30 residents ran in the race as part of the Birch-Welch-Roberts Challenge.

Wearing only boxers, sports bras and tennis shoes, racers ran through several inches of snow in Carrie Lane Court.

“This is a wonderful day for [the Polar Bear Race],” said Steve Medanic, president of the BWR programming board, sponsor of the BWR Challenge.

Each of the 10 teams had three runners who ran two consecutive laps and then tagged their next teammate. Between 80 and 100 people came out to watch the event.

Although the race was part of the BWR Challenge, Medanic, senior in physics, said “mostly, it’s just for the fun.”

The BWR Challenge has more than 20 events. By winning these events, floors get points, and the floor with the most points at the end of the semester wins $250.

About 40 people gathered to either run or stay warm before watching the race.

A number of reasons brought people out to race in the cold weather.

“I’m graduating, so it’s my last chance [to participate]. That and a case of peer pressure,” said Billie Stallsmith, senior in anthropology.

Amanda Butler, junior in art and design, also saw the race as a unique opportunity.

“I haven’t run around naked since I was 2,” she said.

When Medanic called, “Drop down to your uniforms,” the contestants dropped their pants, exposed their boxer shorts, and in the case of the women, their sports bras, and went outside to run.

After only half an hour, the Stevenson House team from Birch Hall, comprised of Wade Demmer, senior in computer engineering, Pat Byrnes, senior in computer science, and Charles Young, freshman in liberal arts, won the men’s division.

Residents from Sullivan House in Linden Hall made up the winning women’s team. Those residents were Butler, Stallsmith and Megan Cooper, freshman in art and design.