Athletic Department needs to remember the students

Tammy Kuiken

To the editor:

I am a big fan of ISU women’s basketball. Some might call me a little obsessive. I first started watching the women play during the ’96-’97 season. In those days, the only sounds during the game were the players, the coaches and Wild Bill. That was the first year we went to an NCAA tournament.

The next year, I went to all of the home games. That was the first year we hosted the NCAA tournament. My friends and I bought tickets and got stuck behind the basket.

Last year I bought season tickets. There was no student rate, so I was given the faculty/staff rate. Not only did I go to every home game, but a lot of the away games as well. Hilton Coliseum began to come alive for the women’s games.

When the NCAA tournament came, we were allowed to keep our season-ticket seating locations. I really felt a part of the Cyclone’s success.

This year, I paid for my season tickets again. There was a student rate, but it only applied to the student section, so I paid the extra money for “my” seats again.

The Athletic Department recently sent me a mailing concerning the seating arrangements for the NCAA tournament, should the Cyclones be lucky enough to host again.

This year, no one will be allowed to keep their season ticket locations. Instead, seating will be assigned based on the amount of money you have given the National Cyclone Club.

I have not given the Cyclone Club any money (I am a student — I gave my extra money to the team for tickets, instead), so I am sure I will be stuck in a balcony or behind the basket again.

I am very upset at the attitude taken by the Athletic Department against the loyal fans.

Even though I am a relatively new fan of ISU Women’s Basketball, I feel connected to the program because I was there before it became “fashionable.” I knew who Tara Gunderson was before Stacy Frese broke her career three-point baskets record. I was watching when Stacy Frese sat the bench during her transfer year. I feel cast aside by the Athletic Department all in the name of the almighty dollar.

Now that they have the attendance, it is time to milk us for all our money. When will schools recognize that loyalty is a two-way street? You scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours.

Iowa State will have my undying support (and possibly a portion of my post-graduation paycheck) if they are willing to show that they care for my dedication as a fan as much as my money.

Tammy Kuiken

Graduate student

Mechanical engineering