Flu bug biting harder than usual this winter

Dustin Mcdonough

It’s being called “the real millennium bug” by some people.

Outbreaks of influenza have been heavily reported in parts of the country, and according to one doctor, Ames is no exception.

Dr. Terry McGeeney, a physician at McFarland Clinic, 1215 Duff Ave., said the flu has been widespread in Ames.

“Within the past 10 days, we’ve had a lot of people coming in with the flu,” he said.

McGeeney said the flu season seems to be peaking early this year. Influenza doesn’t normally hit hard until late January, but McGeeney said the number of flu cases diagnosed at McFarland has been unusually high for this time of year.

“It appears to be much more dominant than normal,” he said, noting that people seem to be catching the virus more easily than usual.

While the flu bug seems to be hitting the city of Ames hard, it’s still too early to tell if Iowa State has seen an unusual outbreak, said Elizabeth Knurek, health promotion supervisor for the Student Health Center.

“We have diagnosed a few cases,” Knurek said, “but since most of the students have been gone on winter break for the past three weeks, it’s hard to tell if the flu is very widespread on campus for right now.”

McGeeney said he doesn’t expect the current outbreak to become worse, but he said the bug could stay around longer than normal.

“Since it appears to be peaking early, it could be around for quite a while until the normal flu season is over,” he said.

He added that it is probably too late to get a flu shot now because the shot takes about four weeks before offering any immunity from the virus.

Knurek said Iowa State might be less susceptible than some areas to the outbreak because the Student Health Center offered free flu shots to students in October, the first time such shots have been given at Iowa State free of charge.

“Sure enough, we had more people come in for flu shots than normal,” she said. “We administered about 3,000 shots.”

McGeeney said there are many steps people can take to avoid catching the virus.

“The flu is usually transmitted in droplet form through the air,” he said. “People should try to avoid respiratory contact. Cover your mouth when you cough.”

McGeeney also said hands should be washed frequently to keep the virus off of them.

Knurek added that people should try to maintain a proper diet and should consider taking a multi-vitamin.

“And, of course, drink plenty of fluids,” she said.

Knurek also encouraged students to call the Student Health Center during the morning for an appointment if they do not feel well.

Some flu symptoms include high fever, serious fatigue, hacking cough and body aches, McGeeney said.

To be treated effectively, he said people should be examined by a doctor within 48 hours of first feeling ill.