ISU faculty diverge on need, influence of Iowa Caucuses

Julie Rule

Some ISU faculty members chose to show their support for their favorite candidates Monday night by going to the caucuses, while others did not have time or decided not to go.

David Wallace, associate professor of English, said he went to support former New Jersey Sen. Bill Bradley, who lost to Vice President Al Gore. It was Wallace’s first caucus.

“It was different than voting,” he said. “It takes a little more commitment, a little more thought. It’s interactive. You get to talk to people.”

Julie Dickerson, assistant professor of electrical and computer engineering, said working until 8 p.m. prevented her from making it to the caucus.

However, she said she thinks the caucuses are important because of the opportunity to meet the candidates.

“I got to see three or four of the candidates in person,” she said. “It’s kind of neat to hear them without having someone else interpret it for you.”

Edward Pollak, professor of statistics, said he opted not to go.

“There was not that much difference between the candidates, and I figured out what was most likely to happen — Gore would win,” he said.

Pollak said he is not sure how important the Iowa Caucuses really are in the larger scheme of things.

“Iowa’s not a very typical state,” he said.

Pollak said he agreed with Washington Post columnist David Broder’s article on the caucuses.

“Iowa shouldn’t have two chances to get at the candidates,” he said. “We should either have the straw poll or the caucuses, but not both.”

However, Pollak did see one useful thing about the caucuses.

“Candidates are forced to show what they are like and what they stand for,” he said.

Dennis Johnson, distinguished professor of chemistry, said he was not able to attend because he had to take a faculty candidate to dinner.

“If I had gone, I probably would have stood in the corner with [Utah Sen.] Orrin Hatch because he had a very logical presentation,” he said.

He said Hatch, who dropped out of the race today after finishing last in Monday’s caucus, has proved that he can get legislation through Congress.

“On the basis of credibility, I think Hatch did a pretty good job,” he said.

Johnson said he does not believe the caucuses are really significant, although they are to the people of Iowa.

“They certainly are in the minds of Iowans,” he said. “This is Iowa’s one chance in the spotlight.”

Margaret Graham, professor of English, said she made it to the caucuses.

“It’s the thing to do,” she said. “It’s part of the political process.”

Graham said the Iowa Caucuses are important, but not because of their influence on the rest of the country.

“I don’t think that the Iowa Caucuses have much influence on the national results, but I think it’s an important part of the grassroots movement,” she said.

Graham said some of the results were contrary to her expectations. “I was a little surprised that Bradley didn’t do better,” she said.

Clark Miller, assistant professor of political science, said he participated in the caucuses. He said they are important for a couple of different reasons.

“You’re in a position to effectively cast a vote to nominate a candidate for president,” he said. “They also bring people in the community together to talk about a variety of issues.”