Bremner recognized for work with nitrates

Magda Beme

John M. Bremner, a retired Iowa State agronomy professor, has been considered among the world’s finest experts on the study of nitrates in soil.

“John Bremner is perhaps one of the most extensively cited scientists in the world,” said Tom Loynachan, agronomy professor and interim head of the agronomy department.

“His research contributions in soil nitrogen and sulfur cycles are legendary, and he developed many analytical methods used to test these elements in soil,” he said.

Bremner was the first researcher to be elected into the U.S. National Academy of Science in the areas of soil chemistry and biochemistry in 1984.

The organization, approved in 1863 by President Lincoln, was set up to consult the government in matters of science and technology.

“He was a true mentor of students and found great satisfaction in watching them develop into international scientists. His quick wit and humor are remembered by all,” Loynachan said.

Bremner is the only current station researcher to be elected to the academy. His research includes such topics as characterization of the organic nitrogen in soils and humic acids, enzyme activity of soils and development of mild methods of extracting soil organic matter.

He started his undergraduate education at the University of Glasgow in Scotland in the 1940s. After spending a year in the United States in 1957, Bremner was granted a teaching position at ISU and officially joined the agronomy faculty in 1959.

Bremner was widely recognized for his work in the agronomy field and was awarded several times for his efforts.

His most notable achievements were receiving the Regent Faculty Award, the Soil Distinguished Service Award from the Soil Sciences Society and the Charles Curtiss Distinguished Professor in Agriculture Award.

Bremner currently resides in Palm Desert, Calif.