New complex designed to help students learn together

Abbie Moeller

At the new Active Learning Complex, brightly colored canopies, low comfortable chairs and sectional dividers have provided a homey atmosphere for students to learn.

The new facility, located in Room 1313 of Coover Hall, will be dedicated today at 1 p.m.

The complex was designed to be a place for electrical and computer engineering students to learn together, where they can access resources available from professors and teaching assistants.

“This grew out of the department’s efforts in cooperative learning,” said Doug Jacobson, associate professor of electrical and computer engineering.

The 28 teaching assistant cubicles, four group computer corners and a large meeting table serve a variety of student needs during group projects, he said.

The computer corners and meeting table can be reserved by students, with electrical and computer engineering students given preference.

Teaching assistants will be in the complex so they can be accessible to students, said Lynette Sherer, business manager of the electrical and computer engineering department.

The complex will help centralize services in the department by putting the learning space near the central advising office.

Innovative use of space is not the only thing that makes the Active Learning Complex different from many campus facilities.

“It’s kind of unique in that it was built for the students and not as a formal classroom,” Jacobson said.

This is a new concept at Iowa State, Sherer said.

“It’s something that is not traditional for the university,” she said.

A virtual reality tour of the complex was available before construction ever started, Sherer said.

The comments and criticism gained by these tours were useful when the actual construction started.

And the use of technology continued when the complex was built.

The computers in the complex, which are set up for group use, each have a 32-inch screen and a cordless keyboard and mouse.

“It took an open mind by a lot of people to do a unique space like this,” Sherer said.