Position profile: defensive line

Ron Demarse

It’s generally not easy to get excited about a defensive line, no matter how talented.

Typically four bruisers that aim at stopping the run and occasionally pick up a sack, the interior on the defense isn’t a high-glory position.

It’s usually even harder to get excited about a line that gives up 221 yards and nearly three touchdowns per game, as the Cyclones did last year.

That said, the ’99 Iowa State defensive line has generated more than its fair share of enthusiasm.

“We’ve got a lot of experience on the line this season, and our players have had a very good camp,” defensive coordinator John Skladany said. “We’re real excited.”

Cyclone coaches aren’t the only ones excited about their line. Returning four players with starting experience and great potential who are some of the top athletes on the team, the Cyclone interior may be the strength of the defense this year.

Though the unit may have been a liability in the past, junior defensive end Reggie Hayward sees it as a strength for this season and beyond.

“We’re bigger this year, and more size translates into aggression,” he said. “Better plays, more plays, more tackles for loss, more sacks — an overall improved defense.”

Hayward, an native of Dolton, Ill. and graduate of football power Thornridge, is one of the anchors up front after a breakout year in ’98. The 6-5, 250-pounder racked up 59 tackles last season, including two for losses, 5.5 sacks, and a forced fumble.

“I like to lead with my actions,” Hayward said. “We have some great leadership in our captains, so I just show what I can do on the field.”

Hayward is complemented by powerful defensive tackle James Reed.

Over the last two seasons, the 6-0, 277-pound junior has accumulated 159 tackles, including six for losses.

In addition, Reed has made a hobby of harassing opposing quarterbacks, managing 10 sacks and countless hurries and knockdowns since 1997.

A third-team all-Big 12 selection in ’98, Reed has been placed on the second team by several publications in this preseason.

The potential doesn’t end with Reed and Hayward, however, with team captain Ryan Harklau holding down the nose guard position.

After being named the ISU scout team player of the year in 1996, Harklau played sparingly in ’97 before making an impact last season.

The 6-3, 280-pound junior turned in 32 tackles and 2.5 sacks last season. He also managed five tackles for loss, the highest total on the team.

Rounding out the starting four is defensive end Kevin DeRonde.

A 6-5, 260-pound sophomore, DeRonde saw his first action last season, accumulating 21 tackles and two and a half sacks over limited play in all 11 games.

DeRonde pointed to added girth as a reason for the line’s improvement over the off-season.

“Everybody on our defensive line has gained weight,” DeRonde said. “We were undersized last year, so the extra beef is definitely going to help out. Anytime your team gets bigger, as long as you carry the weight well, it’s going to help.”

The starting four will need to find some way to replace the departing Chin Achebe, though.

In four years at ISU, Achebe piled up 244 tackles and 11 sacks. In ’98, he turned in 92 stops and five sacks for nearly 50 yards in losses.

Assisting the starters on the line will be seniors James Elmore and Robert Brannon and junior Nigel Tharpe.

The trio combined for 77 tackles and 5.5 sacks last year in limited action.

Also fighting for playing time will be true freshman Casey Shelton of West Des Moines.

Rated by most sources as one of the top 50 freshmen in the nation and one of the top 10 defensive linemen, Shelton has NFL size and talent.

“He’s been everything we expected in the first few days,” head coach Dan McCarney said. “He’s an outstanding prospect, and it’s not hard to see why he was invited to the likes of Lincoln, Nebraska and Los Angeles, California.”

“He’s a true freshman, so there’s a lot to learn,” Skladany said, “but he’s grasped our system, and he continues to improve every day. We’re hoping he can get out there and play some this year.”

Skladany is confident with the experience and potential that returns this season, the line will be a force to reckon with.

“Obviously, we’ve set our goals to improve in every category,” he said, “and with the maturity and depth we have, I’m confident that we will.”

As far as leadership up front, Skladany is hard-pressed to narrow his list.

“James Reed and Reggie Hayward are retuning with a lot of experience, and they’ve had some great afternoons already,” Skladany said. “Harklau and DeRonde are the same way, as are Elmore and Brannon and everybody else. It’s hard to pick out the leaders on this line. If you mention one guy, you have to mention the rest of them, too.”

McCarney is equally optimistic.

“Everybody knows I used to coach that position for a lot of years,” McCarney said. “When we’re not very good or we’re not physical or we can’t stay in the trenches for four quarters, it really bothers me.

“This, though, is the best defensive line we’ve had since I’ve been here. We’ve got seven or eight guys with experience, with some size and with the ability to play at this level.”