Customer unhappy with CBS policy on damaged goods

Bryan Siepker

On August 24, I discovered the true definition of customer service as defined by the Campus Book Store.

The store has the policy of taking items from customers brought into the store and holding onto them until the purchases are made.

After entering the store, my friend gave the clerk at the desk in front her backpack, and I put my portable CD player on top of her bag.

I pointed out to the attendant that my CD player was on top.

As we were going to the text book section, I heard something drop and hit the floor.

I turned around to discover that the attendant dropped my CD player 6 feet to the floor.

I returned to the desk to retrieve my CD player.

I discovered that the lid was broken, and it no longer worked. In addition, the CD inside the player, an autographed Stuart Davis album, was cracked.

I asked the gentleman who dropped it what could be done.

He informed me that I should have placed the CD player in a bag.

I asked what his policy was on items they held for customers, and he repeated that I should have placed them in a bag.

I pointed out that the store doesn’t display any signs telling customers that the store is not responsible for damage to items, or that they require customers to put all items in a bag.

He said there was nothing he could do, and he returned to helping other customers without even an apology.

After realizing that this gentleman was not only being rude, but unreasonable, I decided to consult a different employee.

He informed me that the gentleman that helped me at the desk was the owner of the Campus Book Store, Floyd Ballein.

The employee added that the policy on held items was “up to the owner’s discretion.”

In addition, I asked if I could file a complaint with the store, and I was told CBS doesn’t have a complaint department.

I am not writing this to receive the money for my broken CD player or gain sympathy for my misfortune.

I just hope to inform this campus of the “customer service” CBS apparently wants to provide.

For a store eager to greet students to ISU with coupons, hot dogs, and punch, they seem reluctant to offer even the common courtesy of an apology for damaging my property.

I was a customer of CBS during the five years I attended ISU, and I am disappointed to say that I will never shop at the Campus Book Store again if I ever continue my education at ISU. Finally, if any ISU student decides to shop at the Campus Book Store, I hope he remembers the personal attention I received from the gentleman who sets the standards and polices for an establishment that I thought was supposed to provide a positive environment for the ISU community.

Josh Bryner

Alumnus

Ames