Position profile: defensive backs

Ron Demarse

In 1998, the Iowa State secondary limited opponents to 180 yards per game through the air. They allowed only 13 passing touchdowns and less than 2,000 yards of total passing offense, all statistics superior to Big 12 opponents Texas, Nebraska and Kansas State.

In ’98, the Cyclones also allowed opponents a pass efficiency rating of 141.5, far and away the highest in the conference.

Fans who are paying attention should draw some pretty sobering conclusions.

When teams pass against ISU, they almost always succeed. However, teams don’t pass very often, simply because it’s so easy to run.

This isn’t to say the secondary doesn’t have potential. Each of the starting defensive backs and most of the reserves have shown flashes of brilliance and return in ’99 with at least one full year of Division 1A experience under their belts.

On top of that, there was marked improvement from the season before when they gave up 2,122 yards and 17 scores.

Jeff Waters returns to lead the secondary for his senior year.

“We have a lot of experience coming back for us at corner and safety,” Waters said, “So it’s a big plus for us.”

The junior college transfer surpassed all expectations in ’98 by earning a starting role at free safety and leading the team with 93 tackles.

“My role this year is just to come in and guide along the freshmen,” Waters said, “and be a leader on the field.”

Rounding out the Cyclone safety unit is junior Dustin Avey.

After reshirting the ’96 season, Avey racked up 63 tackles, broke up four passes and returned an interception 94 yards for a touchdown in 1997.

Last year, after missing spring football to run track, Avey turned in a 52-tackle campaign, still holding down a starting position at strong safety.

This year, coach Dan McCarney said he’s fully committed to football.

“Dustin missed all of spring ball last year,” McCarney said, “but he didn’t miss a snap this year. He really dedicated himself to being the best football player he can.”

As a pair, McCarney is very pleased with his safeties.

“We feel great about both of them,” he said. “There are a lot of things that go into that position — communication, tackling, coverage. We feel great with that pair of safeties back there.”

The cornerback positions both displayed rare consistency last season, rarely giving up the home run.

Senior Jamarcus Powers and junior Breon Ansley return to their positions in the fall, having contributed 31 and 46 tackles last year, respectively.

In addition, Powers broke up a team-high seven passes and Ansley broke up five and picked off a pass.

Powers, another JC transfer from last year, looks forward this season to playing more of a leadership role.

“They expect me to,” Powers said. “I know the system better now and I’m a senior, so they expect a little more out of me and I’ll give them something to look up to.”

Rounding out the secondary are juniors Doug Densmore and Ryan Sloth, senior Jason Parrott and freshman Atif Austin, a converted tailback.

The quartet combined for just under fifty tackles last year, and Densmore picked off a pass against Ball State.

Freshman Julian Cummings will also try to figure into the mix after excelling in the high school ranks of Southern California.

Powers is excited about his unit’s potential and eager to see how they’ll perform.

“We need the guys that have been here to step up,” Powers said. “We need guys like Ryan Sloth and Atif Austin to step up and make an impact this year. I’m proud to have talented guys like this playing around me.”

Waters believes, despite some bumps along the way, the secondary is ready to prove itself this season.

“There’s always room for improvement,” he said, “and this year I think we’ve improved.”