Orientation in full swing

Archana Chandrupatla

Orientation is in full swing this summer as Iowa State’s incoming freshmen begin to familiarize themselves with the university and its campus.

Ardys Ulrichson, director of orientation, said orientation has gone well so far.

“We have lots of students and families coming through, and there haven’t been any problems so far,” she said. “Everyone is having a good time.”

Ulrichson said she expects things to continue to run smoothly.

“We do have more students at orientation this year than last year, but things have been going well and we anticipate things will continue to go well,” she said.

Ulrichson said that although there are many activities and events planned at orientation, the main focus for students should be to establish their academic routine.

“The priority for students is to see their academic advisor and register for classes,” she said. “They also take placement tests in English and math to make sure they are put in the right level of classes.”

David Bousquet, assistant vice president for enrollment, said orientation is extremely important for incoming students.

“It allows students to get registered for classes, order their textbooks and meet their advisors,” he said.

Ulrichson said parents also should try to familiarize themselves with their student’s academic needs.

“A lot of students and their families spend time in their respective academic departments or colleges so they can get information about and a feel for their academic program,” she said.

There are new things being tried out this year that were not there last year, Ulrichson said.

“We are piloting a new Web registration process this year, and we have also set up a new orientation registration form on the Web,” she said.

“The Dean of Students office has also developed a new program that is offered in the evening on the first day,” she said.

Subjects other than academic issues are addressed as well, Ulrichson said.

“We talk about the transition students will have to face and give them information on personal and social issues on campus,” Ulrichson said.

“We give them a lot of information about the various resources available on campus,” she said.

Ulrichson said students get to familiarize themselves with other aspects of student life.

“The students get a tour of the residence halls, the fraternities and sororities and the Parks Library,” she said. “We do a tour of the city of Ames and a campus bus tour as well.”

Ulrichson said families of the students receive a lot of information about campus life.

“There are lots of programs and information for parents and families,” she said. “We talk about the transition for the families as well as the students. We give out real practical information about the university.”

Ulrichson said through the ISU Cyclone Aides, students and families have an opportunity to interact with other students, as well as faculty.

“The Cyclone Aides are our student orientation leaders and they spend a lot of time with the students and their families to give them an idea of what it’s like to be a student at ISU,” she said.

Shelley Smith, a Cyclone Aide, said orientation really helps students get adjusted to college life.

“A lot of students and their families feel more comfortable about going to college after they leave orientation. It helps them feel less apprehensive about coming to college,” said Smith, sophomore in animal science.

Smith said the aides give the students various opportunities to ask questions about campus life.

“We break them into small groups of six or seven with one Cyclone Aide, and they get an opportunity to ask questions,” she said.

“This is very good for them because it provides a small group setting and allows each of them more personal attention,” Smith said.